We wanted to give you an idea of what you can expect from the moment you receive an offer from us and the weeks to come.
On Your First Day
What to expect on your first day
- Your first day will start at 9:30/10:00am and finish around 16:00/16:30pm. This will be confirmed before your start date.
- You will spend time with your line manager who will introduce you to the team, show you around and set up your ID badge.
- You will be allocated a work buddy who will be on hand to support you whilst you are settling in.
- We will give you any equipment you need such as a laptop, bag, phone and any access details.
- You will be given a plan for the weeks ahead including training and key areas to focus on.
First Few Weeks
What to expect in the first few weeks
• You will be able to meet with the team on a 1-2-1 basis to get to know each other a little better and learn about what they do.
• Training will take place. This could be on the job or through targeted training sessions with the team.
• You will learn how to use WME’s systems that are relevant to your role.
WME – Who We Are
We are owned by our subscribing councils and we are governed by the Rules of the REO. We have a representative body comprising the CEO of each subscribing member council who agrees our business plans, budgets and other constitutional matters.
We also report through an Elected Member Management Board nominated from sub-regional groupings covering Birmingham; Black Country; Coventry, Solihull and Warwickshire; Worcestershire; Herefordshire, Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire; and Staffordshire and Stoke with an additional member representing the District Councils.
Our Chief Executive
The Chief Executive of WME is Rebecca Davis, who took up the role in March 2019 with a mandate to reposition the organisation to have a strong membership focus with a new Strategic Plan. She has extensive senior leadership experience across the public sector and works closely with senior leaders on finding solutions to the big challenges facing the future of public sector services. Rebecca is a skilled facilitator, conference speaker and a huge advocate for inclusion and female progression.
Rebecca’s favourite saying is “Your past does not determine who you are, but prepares you for who you will become”.
Rebecca chairs the WME Leadership Team and reports directly to our Elected Member Management Board, who represent the 33 Councils that are shareholders in the organisation.
Rebecca represents the Region and WME on the National Association of Regional Employers and fulfils the role of Regional Employers Secretary, as WME is the Regional Employers Organisation.
Rebecca has extensive experience in leading organisations and teams, working with Councils and other public sector organisations on incredibly challenging and highly sensitive areas of work, spanning Transformation, Workforce and Organisational Development. Her specialisms include:
Future operating models and organisational redesign
Future public sector service design and transformation
Recruitment and resourcing
Diversity and Inclusion
Rebecca regularly advises leaders and Chief Executives on highly sensitive issues and has led many senior executive appointments on behalf of them.
Outside of work, Rebecca is a mom to two small children and is an avid runner, regularly competing in half-marathon events across the Country.
Here is a brief overview of each service area of WME. More in-depth information will be included in your induction.
Our Corporate Services team is highly experienced and committed to excellent customer service. We manage the full customer journey, aiming to deliver a great user experience. The Corporate Services Team is responsible for establishing, co-ordinating and managing the full customer journey in relation to all WME services and product offerings. The team also manages WME’s critical business systems, IT services, events, procurement and communications. The Finance Team is responsible for the provision of an efficient, effective and robust Financial Management and Accounting service for WME in respect of all its activities. Together both teams work collaboratively as The Corporate and Financial Services Team.
HR & Consultancy
The HR and Consultancy team provide advice, consultancy and training services across all employment matters, helping you better understand and apply terms and conditions, best practice, and developments in statute and case law. Through the in depth expertise and experience of our team of HR, Training and Organisational Development professionals, we ensure a committed, responsive, results-oriented, effective service. We work closely with our national colleagues at the Local Government Association (LGA) and other regional employer organisations to represent the interests of our member organisations and ensure their voice is heard at both national and european level. We also work with these partners on the development of employer policy and guidance across the sector. The HR Service offers a range of services to its members outlined below:
- Independent and Professional Advice on all HR matters within a 24 hour turnaround time in most cases.
- HR Advisory Bulletins to help keep abreast of new legislation.
- Information on Local Authority Terms and Conditions including:
- Changes and developments
- Interpretation on local and national conditions of service
- Detailed advice on the statutory framework covering teachers
- Frequently asked questions library
- Direct provision and facilitating access to high quality and subsidised employee development programmes
- Facilitation and co-ordination of number of regional networks and events
- Co-ordinating and developing responses to National and European consultations on employment legislation
- Provide an effective regional dispute resolution mechanism, where necessary, brokering solutions and agreement with trade union colleagues, including Joint Secretarial interventions.
- Representing the regions authorities on employment matters such as terms and conditions, national pay and conditions and a wide range of employment related issues
- Benchmarking covering market pay data, employment related policy frameworks, workforce information and statistics and best practice
Consultancy Services covering:
- Recruitment and selection
- Job Evaluation
- Discipline and grievance case management
- Training and development
- Interim HR professionals
- Psychometric testing